Pages

Yearly Traditions with Roasted Peking Duck.





I know this is deviates from the usual sweet baking treats from my kitchen and majority of the time this blog will be dedicated to these; I though as a special Christmas type post something savoury is order. Anyway, you roast duck in the oven, so it is appropriate in my mind.



Around this time of year, many families have festive traditions, which make it special for them. Whether it is baking a traditional fruit cake from yearlong soaked fruits to the go to recipe for glazed ham with all the timings, these little must do’s make Christmas. I like to avoid going shopping t this time of year for meats especially seafood. While I LOVE seafood, Australia seem to go ape this time of year for it and markets are filled with people queuing for the stuff. I guess you could say the seafood summer Christmas is what most Australian’s desire this time of year. Thankfully, my family tends to buy meat and store them (or forgets) about them in our deep freeze. The wonderful invention the freezer but that is another story.



Unlike them, my family never had a traditional recipe for the Christmas menu; it is make do with what we have in the house. Yes, we have duck on hand at our place, as well as multiple frozen chickens and piece of pork belly. Like I said my family buys and forgets. In some ways cleaning out our house is a Christmas tradition for us, and it is good because it save money for other Christmas traditions (boxing day and end of year sales ring a bell?)

I am paying my dues to my Chinese heritage with a Peking duck. This considered a favorite special indulgent meal at my place especially since my dad’s taste is still fully devoted to Asian cuisine. Tender duck meat roasted to perfection with the signature deep brazened skin, served with the traditional flour pancakes, Ho sin sauce and spring onions. The traditional way of serving duck is the way to go, simple but splendid.




Of course this recipe is something I made up from what I remember Peking is suppose to taste like, but I used serious eats recipe has the basis of mine.


Pek king Duck, My way.

Adapted from Serious eats


1.8kgs whole duck

Mariande

1tbsp soy sauce

1tbsp maltose

1tsp rice vinegar

2 tsp five-spice powder

1tsp salt

1/2tsp white ground pepper

After marinade rub

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp baking powder


Dry duck carefully with paper towels and place on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.

Spoon marinade mixture over duck and rub over entire surface, making sure to coat all exposed skin and inner cavity.

Combine salt and baking powder in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over all surfaces of duck.

Refrigerate duck, uncovered, at least 12 and up to 36 hours until surface is completely dry with leathery appearance.



Day of baking

Adjust rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 190c.

Bring 2 litres water to a rolling boil in a large stockpot.

Place duck on wire rack set in sink.

Pour half of boiling water over top surface of duck, making sure to cover skin evenly.

Flip duck and pour remaining boiling water over second side. Allow duck to dry 5 minutes.

Stand duck vertically by inserting wine bottle into cavity and place on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet.

Roast, rotating after 30 minutes until skin is a deep mahogany, about 1 hour.

Reduce heat to 150c and continue roasting until fat stops dripping from cavity, about 30 minutes longer.

Carefully remove duck from wine bottle can and transfer to cutting board. Allow to rest 10 minutes before carving.




Do not mess with the duck; it is perfect as a whole. Just roast and eat.

1 comment:

  1. Belinda, thanks for linking in. That duck looks so wonderfully crispy. Cheers

    ReplyDelete