Pages

Over reacting much? /-/ Peanut butter pie mousse cake


peanut butter pie (1 of 1)

I am not keen on reality television. Today there are 5 reality shows on the airwaves in Australia with the latest addition sending shivers down my spine. Really? you are gullible enough to believe Prince Harry is that desperate for publicity that he is looking for a wife, via a television show?
Gosh, you must be really good at hype if you work in Television. In the lead up to these reality television shows; I kid you not the over use of capital letters, exclamation marks and poor descriptive words have me fearing for the future of the English language in our youth.

 The thing that has got me is if reality is that compelling, if reality is that entertaining; why do the advertises need to try so hard?

peanut butter pie (2 of 1)

Yes, competition among networks is fierce but there is no excuse (in my mind) to claim such great titles; especially when you cannot deliver. 

This is rampant in the food industry/food blogging. Along with the good and excellent dishes which require no description to keep them going, I am turning my attention to the way people have overreacted to how good a cookie, cake or muffin is.  

I try not to claim a food stuff is OMFG good in my blog unless it REALLY something I believe in. I will never die over a cookies, faint over a custard or dehydrate myself from drooling over a runny egg (ok , I might get close).

peanut butter pie (4 of 1)

Have you seen the description for recipes which are labelled “copy cat”? These , in my humble pie opinion, are the most disappointing ones. 

Why would you make a copycat version of food stuff that is still on the selves; for the double the price of buying the real thing? 

As much as homemade tries to claim that it is better tasting; there are just some things that cannot recreated. Not only the food processing and recipe (containing things not common to the normal cook) but what about the memories attached to these particular products that make them so significant?

peanut butter pie (11 of 1)

peanut butter pie (10 of 1)

The Royal Easter show lemonade you buy for $6 dollars a cup; because it reminds you of the first time you went as a child with your family.

The cookie brand you simply have to have because you shared an intimate moment with love of your life.

That packet custard, even though it contains more additives than real ingredients, you buy it anyway. We all know that eating it with your fingers is a gastronomic delicacy that cannot be recreated.  

Take away message? Do not promise more than you can deliver. At least if you under describe it, your followers can relish in the knowledge they found a new secret great recipe.

Another day, another cake. I have put off posting this cake as I am not happy with these photos but I will do it anyway because this was the cake I had for 22nd birthday!

peanut butter pie (8 of 1)

Base on Charlotte rouge, this peanut butter mouse pie cake is my latest cake creation. It is an ice box cake in reality as you do not bake the cake but assembled from swiss rolls. I made mine but you may use any store bought vanilla mini cake with a vanilla cream filling. This twist upon the normally dome shape cake means it really does become a highlight. While the swirls of cake may hypnotize you into eating more, it is hardly needed for the taste of the filling. The creamy, rich power of peanut butter adds salty sweet note to a light but rich mousse that will have you licking your fork for every last mouse coated crumb.

peanut butter pie (6 of 1)

The tiny pies were not made by me but they are cookie which is a traditional Chinese deep fried pastry filled with sweeten peanuts. I am not sure what they are called but look in your local Asian food store because I am sure they will have it. Trust me, I got mine from the store down the road from where I live.

peanut butter pie (7 of 1)

The edge coat of a peanut butter glaze topped with broader burned meringue makes this cake that much more special and OTT. Hey that’s what this cake is about, you do not make Charlotte rouge if you want to blend in.

If you looking for a cake for that peanut butter lover, pie lover or all over cake lover in your life; this is the cake if you are looking for something special and slightly unique.  Look at it this way; Soft sponge rolls, creamy mousse, slightly chewy peanut glaze, fluffy meringue and crunchy, deep fried peanut pies? It is a taste and texture bomb for your sweet taste buds
Elaborate? Yes
Lots of steps?  Yes
Worth it? Totally, like I said it is a no bake cake. All you need is all the things that go into it. Simple eh? *sorry jokes but it is not that hard*

peanut butter pie (5 of 1)

Peanut butter pie mousse cake
Makes a 23 cm cake.

SWISS ROLL

Ingredients
10 Eggs
250g Caster sugar
120g  unsalted Butter
250g  CAKE Flour
Filling:
40g caster sugar
1/3 This Butter cream recipe

Method
Pre heat oven to 200C. Melt the butter and cool to room temperature
Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites to soft peak, then add the sugar and continue whisking to firm peak.
Add the egg yolks and fold through.
Sift the flour and fold into the egg and sugar mixture. Mix the melted butter through the mixture
Spread evenly onto a lined baking tray (30x23cm). Bake at 200C for 10 minutes
Remove from the oven and dust with caster sugar. Cover with a tea towel and turn over. Remove the baking paper gently, staring at the corners. Carefully use the towel to roll the sponge up. Keep it rolled in the sponge to keep it moist. Cool completely
 Un roll the sponge. Square off the edges. Spread a little bit of butter cream over the entire surface of the sponge. Roll up the sponge so the shortest sides become the ends of the roll. Transfer onto cling wrap and roll up tightly. Store in the fridge or freeze.


Peanut butter mousse

80g Egg yolks
125g Caster sugar
500mL Milk
1 Vanilla bean
300mL Cream
200g peanut butter (creamy)
6 Gelatine leaves

In a stand mixer cream the egg yolks with the sugar, till light yellow. Bring the milk, peanut butter and split vanilla bean to just below boiling point in a medium pot.
With the mixer running, add gradually to the egg and sugar mixture. Pour it back into the pot. Bring it back to thicken over low heat.Strain
Whip the cream. Soak the gelatine in water, then squeeze out and add to the warm custard.
Combine cream and custard, and then allow to cool in an ice bath.

Assembly

One lined with cling film 23cm cake tin, spring form.
One recipe of the Swiss roll
One recipe of the mousse

 ½ recipe of Italian meringue recipe from Whisk Kid
 One recipe of Peanut butter chip glaze recipe from Reeses Hershey’s kitchen

Peanut butter pie cookies

Slice the Swiss roll into ~1cm thick slices
Line the cake tin with cling wrap. Line the cake tin ( base and up the sides) with the Swiss roll slices. Make sure that there are no gaps between the slices.
Fill the cake tin half way with mousse. Trim the remaining sponge slices so that it covers the mousse layer completely.
Top with more mousse. Cover this final layer with sponge slices.
Set in the fridge for 4 hours before turning out to serve on the day.
On the day glaze the cake in a dilute mixture of apricot jam. Set for 30 minutes in freezer.
Warm the glaze and pour it along the edge. Allow to set. Pipe meringue around the edge in a star pattern. Burn the meringue with a blow torch. Place cookie pies on top.

17 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the copy cat recipes, for the most part--sometimes I like to look at the menu of the local cupcake shop and see what flavors are for sale, then make my own version at home. Then it is actually less expensive because the cupcakes they sell over there are delicious, but outrageously overpriced. :D This mousse cake looks amazing, as usual--I've never seen a Swiss roll used like that but it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about the balance in life and food. Some times it is worth it.

      Thanks June

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of copycat recipes but they seem to be popular. I prefer to create my own desserts they way I want it. I am a big fan of peanut butter, I have it for breakfast on toast. It would be delicious is a mousse like yours. You always have beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene. I like developing recipes too; they cater for my taste which makes them that much more special.

      Delete
  3. OMG I'm obsessed with this cake! It's gorgeous and looks absolutely divine.
    Tina from www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. I like your point about memories being attached to a particular flavor. This is so very true, and a memory can "make" a recipe. It is hard to recreate some things. But I like when things are recreated with a small change or adjustment to make it better or different somehow. It is always interesting to experiment with flavor in a subtle way.

    This recipe looks over the top and fabulous. Can't wait to try it. Surely my bf and kiddos can't wait to try it, too... ;)

    Glad to have found your blog, you have beautiful photography.

    -amber
    http://amberrogals.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind. I am sure they will love it!

      Delete
  5. Totally irresistible! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Karly; Love the WCW link up!

      Delete
  6. Wow I'm impressed! This looks amazing! I just love peanut butter anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. As you can see any one can make it with a bit of know how. ^_^

      Delete
  7. OMG, every time I stop by you have some CRAZY, OVER THE TOP cakes that I would never dream of mastering in a million years. A swiss-roll-house cake with mouse filling?! I'd like to live in that house....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same when I visit your blog and see your meat dishes!!! Can we trade places for one day? please?

      Thanks Mandy

      Delete
  8. I am always looking for another way to use peanut butter in something (rather than eating it with a spoon haha) and this looks incredible! This may be a really annoying question but where do you buy your peanut butter chips because I've never seen them in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Indie! No annoying questions here! I get it from a website called usafoods.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Incredible-looking cake!

    ReplyDelete